John Hitchcock (Hitchcock's World) came with an idea a blogothon that analysed and compared the first film of a director's career to discuss whether the director in question is an Auteur. In a nut shell an Auteur is theory that the director is a the author of their film. I can't fully recommended John Hitchcock's blog enough, a lot of his work is very focused on female representation in cinema, plus there loads of interesting other essays that are certainly worth reading and he hates the films of Jean Luc Godard
- Pick one director and identify his or her first feature film. It must be the first feature film (i.e. over one hour runtime) listed in her/his filmography.
- While you will be primarily discussing that one film, you should have an understanding at least some of the director's later films, enough to be able to recognize his or her style.
- Analyze your chosen film in relation to the director's later projects. What elements of his or her style do you see here?
- Keep in mind that this blogathon is based on critical thinking and analysis, not simply on whether you liked the film. Your post should not be so much on the film itself as what it says about the director.
- Repeats (i.e. two people writing about the same director and film) are acceptable, but discouraged. If you do choose a topic someone else is writing about, try to find something different to say on the subject.
- Include a banner and a link back to this post. There are several banners to choose from below, and you are permitted to create your own provided they fit the blogathon's themes.