Thursday 17 September 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #62: Journalists/Reporters for Print/TV


New week, new Thursday Movie Picks. This week it is Journalists/Reporters for Print/TV such as Lois Lane. Check out - http://wanderingthroughtheshelves.blogspot.co.uk/



Not the most original choice, but it is perhaps the most famous film about journalists (maybe except for Citizen Kane). The Watergate scandal not only caused the first (and so far only resignation) of a US president (Richard M Nixon), but it also led the way for every scandal to have a gate at the end, for example Crashgate (when a Formula 1 team deliberately crashed a car to bring out a safety car to favour a teammate's car), Deflategate (something to do with making balls lighter or something) and my personal favourite, Plebgate where Tory MP Andrew Mitchell called a policeman a pleb.


Next is the great British film The Killing Fields, the film follows two journalists as they document the horrors of the Cambodian Civil War fought between the Cambodian Army and Khmer Rouge. Really moving stuff.

Hitchcock's second American feature film, well worth a watch. It's tense and exciting as we follow an American reporter who uncovers a vast network of enemy spies in England.

15 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of these but All The President's Men seems to be getting a lot of love this week. I should probably look into these. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, good Hitchcock reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen Foreign Correspondent. I'll have to check it out when we do Hitchcock movies in a couple of weeks. Yay, All the President's Men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Haha. I've already picked a few good Hitchcock movies. Got to try to avoid them.

      Delete
  4. You're right, All the President's Men may not be the most original choice, but it's definitely the best in my opinion. Great picks all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a classic film but not an imaginative choice, haha. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  5. OMG-I totally forgot about Citizen Kane! I remember Watergate even though I was a kid. I still have to See All the President's men though-it has been on my list to see for a long time already. This is a popular film this week:) The Killing Fields-Another great film!! I own it and I can't believe I forgot about it. It is so rich and to think Dr Haing S Ngor (spelling??)truly lived it just brings it more home. Love Foreign Correspondent. This is a great early Hitchcock with one of my favourite actors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The Killing Fields is a tough, but moving film.

      Delete
  6. I liked A.T.M.M. a little. BTW, you forgot about the Celebgate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the President's Men is among my top 5 favorite films of all time so I've been delighted this week to see it turn up all over the place. Pakula's direction is so sharp turning what is basically two guys at typewriters for about 75% of the film into a compelling journey. It helps that there is not a single weak link in the cast. Redford and Hoffman are great of course but all the small parts are made memorable by exceptional actors and actresses.

    Foreign Correspondent is a great pick and one I haven't seen elsewhere. It's not top flight Hitchcock but still and entertaining ride.

    Haven't seen The Killing Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Foreign Correspondent for my History Dissertation otherwise I'd probably never have watched it, and I fully recommend The Killing Fields.

      Delete