Thursday 7 January 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #78: Downstairs people



Happy New Year and welcome to my first Thursday Movie Picks of 2016. This is a weekly thing where every participating blogger picks three films relating to a particular theme. This week it is all about domestic workers. Make sure to check out: http://wanderingthroughtheshelves.blogspot.co.uk/


 
I imagine this will be a highly popular choice, written by Julian Fellows (who is also the main writer for Downtown Abbey), Gosford Park fits the bill well for this week’s theme. It’s all about the class system and class division in 1930s Britain with a bit of history and politics thrown in. I, for one, feel that the First World War marked the decline of the European Empires.


This slow but very good film about an emotionally repressed butler couldn’t be more English if it tried.


 
Based on the novel by George Moore, this film stars Glenn Close as Albert Nobbs, a woman pretending to be a man to helo her navigate the difficult working life of many people in 19th century Ireland. The film is ok at best, but worth watching for Glenn Close’s performance.

14 comments:

  1. I liked GOSFORD PARK a little, but I didn't like ALBERT NOBBS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many didn't like Albert Nobbs so you're not alone there

      Delete
  2. LOVE that you mention Remains of the Day as well! Love that movie so much. Gosford is very popular today :-D

    Didn't expect to see Nobbs, but it certainly fits the theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to pick something no else has picked. My aim every week.

      Delete
  3. I love Gosford Park and it is certainly the title of the week which makes sense since it's a perfect fit for the theme.

    I agree completely about Albert Nobbs, it meandered but Glenn Close's work made it worth watching once.

    I really expected to love Remains of the Day but ended up finding it a ponderous bore. For me the worst of the Merchant/Ivory's...well The Golden Bowl was pretty bad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand why people think it's boring. It's bloody slow.

      Delete
  4. Albert Nobbs is a really great choice. I never would've thought that one, even though it's perfect for the theme. I haven't seen the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to pick something no else has picked. Glad I did this week.

      Delete
  5. Gosford Park is pretty popular this week! I haven't seen any of your picks but they all sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Not suprised either. It was the first one I thought of.

      Delete
  6. Gosford Park is everywhere and I need to see it since I love Downton Abbey. Funny as in the show, The head of the household mentions how the First World War changed everything for the aristocracy. I almost picked Remains of the Day because it was so frustrating in the repressions of the day and of the people. Albert Nobbs was wonderfully acted by Glenn Close even though the film had its issues. I am glad you picked this as I almost picked this one too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The First World War is argubly the most important war in history as it completely shaped what occured for the rest of the century.

      Delete
  7. Gosford Park is the pick of the week. And for good reason. Haven't seen the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not seen any of these, yet. Albert Nobbs is one I meant to see, but just didn't. Gotta change that. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete